Paul Graham Health & Fitness
It is currently Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:17 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Zwift - 4K - An Exercise in Muscle Type Recruitment - 06-06
PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:59 pm 

So, having just depleted so much leg power on the Surrey Hills, a reasonable performance on the Mall sprint is unlikely, isn't it?

It would be if all muscle fibres were of the same type.

Our evolutionary back-story has equipped us with differing types of muscle. Basically, we have two types of muscle fibres, slow-twitch type 1 muscle fibres, the fibres used in long distance endurance activity and type 2 fast-twitch fibres. Type 2 fibres are recruited in short-term high load events such as sprinting.

I should add, muscle fibres are recruited on a predominant basis, that is, not all type 1 fibres are used in endurance activities and no type 2's - fibres are mixed during activity but, depending on the activity, some types of fibres are predominant.

During sprinting the predominant muscle fibre is type 2.

Knowing that, it should be possible to train muscle groups to hold back and only fully respond during certain activities. I should be able to climb hills with type 1 and then hit the sprints with type 2.

This predominant muscle type activity is what I am trying to demonstrate here.

From Surrey Hills to full out, Mall sprint with reasonable outcomes in both disciplines.

I should also add, we all have differing muscle type configurations. This is why some people are better sprinters than others while the 'others' have greater endurance capabilities.

If you have any questions you'd like to ask - drop a message below.