Paul Graham Health & Fitness
It is currently Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:16 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Zwift - 4K - So, You Wanna Be Sprinter - Richmond Rudimental
PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:56 pm 

So you're looking to take the sprinter's green-jersey on Zwift?

This is what I've come to believe are the essentials.

1. Get to know the layout - ride through the sprint section memorising the approach, are there any land-marks on the run up, buildings, street furniture? - does the timed section incline or decline?

2. Sprinting for the green jersey may be a matter of a few tenths of a second between first and second - if you have the aero-boost, hold onto it. If you don't have the aero, you will likely need it. Ride the local sprint section a few times to gain the aero-boost. Keep dropping all the other boosts until you gain the aero.

3. You need to build your speed on the approach to the timed section, but not to the point where you have depleted all your energy supplies. Approach quickly, if you can, roll over the start of the sprint at a speed you can hold for the entire timed section.
The aero-boost is now going to be your best friend.

4. From the information you gained in the section 1, get to know the best place to deploy the aero-boost. You want aero for as long as possible within the timed section. If the sprint is say 25 seconds in length for you, it's probably best to drop that 15 second aero toward the end of the sprint, but not right at the end, you can go a long way on the speed you built up in the earlier parts of the timed section.

On shorter sprints, say 15 seconds, you'll want to hit the aero-boost before the start line, but not too early. It's easier to maintain speed toward the end of the sprint without aero rather lacking the build-up at the start. So, once aero is enabled - hit the watts.

5. Talking watts, this may be the hardest to achieve in the short-term. A weight training program that builds core strength and leg power will benefit potential sprinters. This is were you find out if you're in it for the green jersey or just want to gain a PR.

6. Watch my Richmond sprint above, and my sprints on the other Zwift worlds (and of course other riders' strategies) take note of how I use the bullet points above.

7. Ride On!