Paul Graham Health & Fitness
It is currently Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:35 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Zwift - 4K - Pre-Fatiguing & Type 2, Sprint, Muscle - 30-06
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:04 pm 

Topic: Working Type 2 - Sprint Muscles.

If you're looking to work a specific muscle group or type, it a good idea to try and isolate that muscle group.

One way of targeting a specific muscle group without all the 'assisting' muscle groups getting involved is to pre-fatigue those assisting muscles before working on the target group.

So when I'm targeting type 2 - the short-lasting power-houses of the muscle world, I go through a climb section for 20-30 minutes at a rate that will work endurance muscles but not make major in-roads into the type 2 power muscle groups.

Now, when I go down onto the sprint sections, the predominant muscle group used is going to be type 2 as the type 1 group is pretty-much exhausted.

I say predominant here because it's near impossible to isolate differing muscle groups completely - all groups will want to 'help out' when possible, pre-fatiguing those type 1 groups will however dramatically reduce the part type 1's can play.

I would add, this type of training should executed with a little more caution than usual as when pre-fatiguing a muscle group, that group's assist tendons and stabilisers will also be fatigued.

Any questions - leave me a message below. :)

Ride On!