Paul Graham Health & Fitness
It is currently Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:00 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: ZwiftZone - 4K - Epic KOM Reverse - Know Thyself Zwift 22/10
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:22 pm 

Pacing, it's all about the knowledge you have about your own abilities.

Pacing is not an exact science but it is an important one. In cycling, knowing how much power you can lay down and for how long is key to bettering PR's. It's also a good indicator as to your current fitness levels and whether current programs are working or should be scrapped.

I've been using the Epic KOM Reverse for pacing strategies since the early days of Zwift. For me, it's an approximate 22-24 minute climb at a pace just under my FTP. If I find that time changes in any significant way, I know whether to continue current training scripts, alter them or scrap them completely. (The 22-24 minute time is my personal reference, yours will be different in either direction.)

I should add, if you're looking to gain advantage with pacing, it is important to know your FTP - your Functional Threshold Power, in fact a 20 minute FTP test could act as your go-to pace standard.

Of all the Zwift climbs, I have found the Epic KOM Reverse to be best suited for checking sustained power levels. It is a just about the right distance and mostly inclined allowing power levels to remain constant - within error margins.

So, if you're looking to exercise some pacing skills, you could do a lot worse than using the Epic KOM Reverse.

Ride On - With Pace :)