2, 3, 4 or More Wheels!
admin
Site Admin

Onward and Upward - Forum Software Upgrade

Post by admin »

Hi there good people

Yep, it has been a while :roll:

But, got this far - no turning back!

So, as is the way of the web, security is paramount. With that I have upgraded all the software under my paul-graham dot net domain to the latest versions which - required a server upgrade in order to move everything under the SSL or Secure Socket Layer technology which browsers now highlight. The SSL or its more recent terminology TLS, Transport Security Layer, required I purchase and install a security certificate which the domain now has.

Unfortunately, the forum and in some respects the main Wordpress page has been around some 12 years - in that time a lot of data has been uploaded much of it pre-security. This requires my going through all the pages and altering the many links to the new security https tech. This as you can imagine is a task that's going to take some time. I should take down the site and start that way but I've decided to do the things the hard way - and longer way, by moving to https and retro-kitting the phpBB forum and Wordpress pages as the problems arise - and I'm guessing problems will arise - monumentally!

I just want to say, at the moment my domain does not require anything but a username email and password, the domain does not sell anything does not pass-on email addresses and is not commercial in any way so security has never really been a problem. For an information service, the software upgrades are secure as it stands - it's just, well, for search purposes, SSL/TLS is the way Google wants it - and what Google wants...

There is also the option of online training advocate/adviser which I will be taking on.

If you should come across some missing images or pages it will likely be due to my updating procedures not having got that far. Some links will need to be deleted, hopefully not too many.

So that's it for now - I'll keep updating the procedure, even if it's for my own sanity :shock:

Paul.