The best treadmill workouts for runners - RunnersWorld

Old-School - Commercial - Home
LadyLyle

The best treadmill workouts for runners - RunnersWorld

Post by LadyLyle »

Getting bored on the treadmill is a problem every runner faces at one time or another. Whether you’re new to running and prefer being in the gym, or are forced to clock up treadmill miles due to bad weather, we’ve found a handful of indoor running workouts to keep you from staring at the clock.

What are the benefits of running on a treadmill?
While it might not be your favourite way to train, there are some benefits of running on a treadmill. If the weather is bad outside, running on the pavements or track can be slippery and dangerous, so it’s often safer to opt to run indoors.

What’s more, in past studies, researchers discovered runners have reduced stride lengths and higher stride frequencies on a treadmill as compared with ground running due to the feeling of instability while running on a treadmill. All of these can help improve your form and reduce impact forces on the body.

What pace should I be running on the treadmill?
If you normally run to feel, or in miles rather than kilometres, setting up your treadmill can be the first hurdle. In order to convert min/km to min/miles, use our handy pace converter here.

How can I make treadmill running less dull?
Olympian Jo Pavey says, 'Treadmill running is more interesting if you structure it, and you’ll get more out of the session, too. Try alternating the pace between a harder and easier pace every three to five minutes – neither of the paces need to be really hard, but by breaking the run into segments, you can focus on one segment at a time. A higher intensity workout – closer to an interval session – can also be done by working hard for repetitions of different lengths, then reducing the speed to a slow jog for the recoveries. I prefer a slow jog recovery rather than stopping, as I find it breaks up the workout too much to get on and off a treadmill.

'Tempo runs are also great on a treadmill, with the warm-up and warm-down being part of the workout too. I also enjoy progression running on a treadmill, increasing the pace every two to three minutes for 20-30 minutes. I enjoy the challenge of seeing how well I can do, and it has become a source of gauging my fitness levels.

'Or, for a hill workout, try ramping up the incline for a minute with a two-minute steady recovery. Work on progressing the speed and incline parameters.

'All that being said, I think the ability to withstand a degree of tedium on a treadmill improves mental toughness and the ability to focus your running.'

more...

Source: The best treadmill workouts for runners - RunnersWorld